[Algonquiana] Prehistoric Language contact ?

Conor Quinn conor.mcdonoughquinn at maine.edu
Thu Nov 20 22:35:45 UTC 2014

Dia dhaoibh, a chairde!

Some preliminary discussions with speakers at Listuguj suggest that Mi'gmaq
there also has the "complicated" dual-plural contrast I mentioned earlier
re Penobscot and Passamaquoddy-Maliseet (I think Phil LeSourd has some
specific examples for the latter either in his 2006 Language paper or his
1993 dissertation)----i.e frequent exceptions to triplural use with when
the stems are inherently semantically non-dual.  (As in
numeral-incorporating verbs, verbs of mass/collective action.)  Here I
don't think the actual distribution is completely understood yet, even
though dual vs. plural works well most of the rest of the time..

I would guess that since there's next to no trace of the triplural
stem-extender in the other Algonquian languages---as far as has been
reported---Ives's view of it as an Eastern Algonquian innovation is the
most plausible account, given current data.

One thing I have noticed is that Mi'gmaq Finals seem to be much more
identifiably Algonquian: I know of relatively few of them that aren't at
least cognate with Penobscot and Passamaquoddy-Maliseet, or failing that,
cognate with Central Algonquian.  This fits with Rich Rhodes's observations
that it's the Initials that change the most from language to language.  And
indeed, it's in the Initials that I see the most Mi'gmaq elements for which
we have no so-far-attested Penobscot and/or Passamaquoddy-Maliseet cognates.

But overall, at least from comparison to Passamaquoddy-Maliseet and
Penobscot, the 50% non-cognacy claim strikes me as very high.  Just from my
dim, second-language levels in these two languages, and going from there to
learn Mi'gmaq, I generally find that more polymorphemic stems than not are
familiar---i.e. all or most of the  Initials, Medials, and Finals are
cognate.

While this doesn't count as a real statistically backed-up claim, it's at
least telling that the lexical overlap has been enough to get me pretty
quickly to following basic spoken Mi'gmaq.  Beyond the Initials, though, it
also seems that the other main locus of not immediately obviously cognate
elements is the less obviously analyzable nominals---i.e. things like peju
'cod', etc.

Here we should also consider the rich use of sound symbolism as a
lexeme-creating device.  E.g. if the Root (i.e. non-diminutive material) in
go'gwejij (go'gwe'ji'j?) 'spider' isn't in fact cognate to anything
Algonquian (and it might originally be; see the next example), this go'gwe-
material might not be a substrate word, but simply an affective,
sound-symbolic form.

Compare also jujij 'insect': this probably is relatable as an affective
reduction (perhaps originating as a hypocoristic) of the accentually most
prominent final foot in a stem relatable to Penobscot awəhαnətohsis,
Passmaquoddy-Maliseet wahantuhsis 'bug, insect'.

So hopefully the online Passamaquoddy-Maliseet dictionary---and the
Penobscot dictionary we're currently working on---will help narrow down
what is uniquely Mi'gmaq lexical material.

(All of this gets complicated by the other clear contact/diffusion
effects.  E.g. that Passamaquoddy-Maliseet evidently (and unsurprisingly)
shares a substantial chunk of lexical material more or less uniquely with
Mi'gmaq---though I wouldn't jump to claim the directionality of the loaning
there---and that some of it then filters back at least as far west as
Penobscot.  Underlining this contact scenario is the observation that the
apparent Basque loan for 'shirt' is found only in Mi'gmaq and languages
(south)west of it as far as Caniba  I.e. if post-contact loans travel this
route so easily, then that's a big window for earlier (and later) lexical
diffusion.

Taboo effects could be a cause of lexical replacement of core vocabulary,
but lots of other motivations exist, and which are likely to be found in
any human speech community: simple creativity/boredom, cool-kid slang,
humor/joke terms, poeticisms, etc.  And the mere fact that Mi'gmaq is
predominantly in a coastal corner---rather than surrounded by close kin
languages on all sides, as many other Algonquian languages are---could in
itself be a strong contributing factor to it developing and retaining a
noticeably higher degree of unique lexical items.

And its replacement strategies might be pretty mundane.  E.g. replacing PA
*maxkwa we have fully Algonquian-morpheme-cognate mui'n (pl. mui'naq),
shared with Passamaquoddy-Maliseet as muìn (stem muwine-).  These lexemes
point back to a notional pseudo-pre-form *mawīnēw 'berry-eater'.  I.e.
*maw- 'eat', *-īn (< *mīn 'berry') *-ē 'AI abstract Final'--- i.e. this is
the familiar [VERB-Root-e·] construction discussed most recently by Rhodes,
Slavin, and the UW-Madison crew, among others----plus the agent nominalizer
-w.  (The seemingly ahistorical vowel length in Mi'gmaq mui'n is a minimal
word constraint effect, same as in wa'w 'egg', ta'n 'how...?', and gi's
'already'.)

(Cf. the Penobscot replacement for PA 'beaver': təmahkʷe from notional
*təmāxkwēw 'wood cutter' i.e. təm- 'sever', -āxkw 'wood', and the same
remaining material as for mui'n above.  Again, taboo effects would be only
one of many ways such alternative terms could come to the fore.)

So it's more likely than not that multiple expressions are floating around
the various speech communities---for who knows how long---and then at
various points get "core" status for any number of sociolinguistic
reasons.  Hence Penobscot awehsohs 'bear' is effective cognate to a term in
Menomini, if I recall correctly.

I also agree that long-term significant multilingualism is the most likely
source of convergence.  That's usually what's claimed for various other
Sprachbunds of the world.  Certainly it's pretty amazing how much deeply
unrelated languages like Hmong and Thai share---phonologically,
lexicogramatically, etc.----due to a mix of both shallow and deep
multilingualism, along with their other neighbors in mainland Southeast
Asia.  Same again for, say, originally only distantly related Bulgarian,
Romanian, and Albanian in the Balkan Sprachbund, and for the relentlessly
multilingual corners of Australia: convergence galore.

And Penobscot oral literature reports extensively of long-term captivity in
both directions---even explicitly noting that a captive Mohawk leader
learned to speak Penobscot before being sent home---and while enmity and
warfare between Algonquian- and Iroquoian-speaking communities are the
famous parts of history, we have little way of knowing how much other
contact continued to occur on a friendlier, even more
multilingualism-inducing basis.  Certainly lots of other cultural practices
(wampum, ceremonial dances, etc.) got shared around extensively, and so
we'd expect linguistic practices to follow suit: if nothing else, the many
particular parallels in basic phonology, especially in phonotactics,
phonation, and prosody.

Slán,
bhur gcara