[Algonquiana] Prehistoric Language contact ?

Danielle E. Cyr dcyr at yorku.ca
Thu Nov 20 21:19:15 UTC 2014

Michael,
Yeah, I kind of know that. However, the archaeological excavations in the
Gaspé Peninsula are still so lacking that it is problematic to advance
that there was no one there when the PEA arrived on the territory. I am
aware that my claim might be weak, yet there seems to be a missing link
somewhere and it has yet to be discovered. I find it hard to accept the
notion that the Gaspé Peninsula remained empty during so many millennia
after having been populated and been the seat of very active trade along
the Gulf of St. Lawrence. There must have remained someone there. And the
enigma of the difference between Micmac and other EA might find an
explanation there.
See, for instance, David W. Anthony, 1990, "Migration in Archeology: The
Baby and the Bathwater". in American Anthropologist. It is really food for
thought.
Danielle
Dr. Danielle E. Cyr, Senior Scholar at York University
339, boul. Perron ouest
New Richmond, QC,  G0C 2BO
dcyr at yorku.ca - 418.392.7271