[Algonquiana] Prehistoric Language contact ?

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Fri Nov 21 12:46:53 UTC 2014

I don't think there is any evidence to suggest such a connection between
Iroquoians and the Mississippian Tradition. Early Iroquoian culture in
the Northeast is represented by what is known as "Owasco". There are
projectile points, which  represent some of the first true chert
arrowheads in eastern N.A., which show up as far west as Indiana in
Late Woodland times and are known as "Jack's Reef," which are early
Owasco points, dating to ca. 900 A.D. But there is no Mississippian
connection with Iroquoians that I'm aware of.

Moreover, there's hardly any signs of Cahokia contact, for example,
to the northeast past Michigan and Ohio. And any connections of
Iroquoians west of there would need to be around 1250 to be Cahokian.

Michael