Menominee/Cree vowel correspondence

Sarah Lundquist sjlundquist at WISC.EDU
Wed Sep 3 22:10:59 UTC 2014

Hi all,

My advisor Monica Macaulay and I are attempting to ascertain correspondence
for a set of vowels in Cree and Menominee.  In his "sketch,” Bloomfield
(1946) states that:

PA *i & *ii split into Menominee i, ii and e, ee
PA *o & *oo split into Menominee u, uu and o, oo
PA *e split into M e and ae (what he writes with epsilon ɛ)
PA *ee became M long ae (a͞e, or ɛɛ)

PA *i and *e merged to i in Cree

I am working on a paper which relies upon a comparison of Cree and
Menominee AI finals.  Monica and I believe that following the information
above, the Cree/Menominee cognates for the finals should be as follows:

 C       M
-ee     -a͞e
-o       -o
-aw     -aw
-isi      -isi/-ese/-aese (varies in Menominee)
-isii     -isii/-esii/ -aesii (ditto)
-in       -in/-en (ditto)
-i         -i/-e (ditto)
-ii        -ii/-ee (ditto)

However, my knowledge of PA and phonological patterns across Algonquian
languages is very limited, and Monica has suggested that I check with
someone with more knowledge of the history of the languages than she has.
In general, the meanings of these finals do seem to correspond, but one of
the things that I’m looking at with them is the ways in which they *don’t*
correspond; so we can’t really use the meanings as a way to decide the
matter.  Would anyone be willing to lend us a hand in verifying that these
morphemes are cognate?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sarah [image: https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif]

--
*Sarah Lundquist* │Project Assistant, UW-Madison Dept. of Linguistics
Linguistics Student Organization Co-President
sjlundquist at wisc.edu