Menominee/Cree vowel correspondence

Guillaume Jacques rgyalrongskad at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 4 09:35:35 UTC 2014

Dear Sarah,

First of all, comparing Cree and Menominee directly might be difficult
because Cree merges short *e and *i, while Menominee has undergone a very
complex vseries of owel shifts that depends on many factors, including
number of vowels in the word, presence of a glottal cluster in the first
syllable of the word etc. Rather than Bloomfield's sketchy account, I would
suggest reading Hockett's detailed article (I can provide a copy if your
institution does not allow access to this journal):

Hockett, C. F. 1981. The Phonological History of Menominee. Anthropological
Linguistics 23. 51-87.

However, even this article is not explicit enough in all details, and
requires a careful reading. The correspondences between Menominee and PA
(and even more, between M and Cree) cannot be stated in a simple table like
the one you show. For PA vowels, the easiest solution is to use Fox, which
preserves them almost without change from PA (except word-initial *e-).
Since Ives Goddard's dictionary has just been published, Fox data are now
much more accessible than before.

At the present moment I am working with my colleage Thomas Pellard on a
program applying the sound laws from PA to Menominee (and the other way
round), but it is needs a lot of debugging.

Have a look at Hewson's dictionary for an updated list of PA finals:

http://www.mun.ca/linguistics/people/faculty/protoalgonkian.php

If you have a more detailed list of the finals you are interested in (with
the verb conjugation AI/II/TA/TI, if possible, to avoid any
misunderstandings), maybe we can have a look.

Guillaume

--
Guillaume Jacques
CNRS (CRLAO) - INALCO