[Algonquiana] Query ?

Danielle E. Cyr dcyr at yorku.ca
Fri Jul 24 14:16:37 UTC 2015

I recently got in touch through Research Gate with Dr Bryan Gordon of the
Canadian History Museum (formerly Museum of Civilization) in Ottawa. He is
working at reconstructing the human migrations triggered by caribou
migrations in North  America. During our discussions he introduced me to
the following literature on Algonquian migrations:
	ROGERS, Richard A., MARTIN, Larry D. and Nicklas, T. Dale. 2002.
Algonquian Distribution and Adaptive Radiations: Holocene and
Wisconsonsinan Factors. In In Wakefield Dort, Jr. (ed.). TER-QUA Symposium
Series, Volume 3,

	ROGERS, Richard A., MARTIN, Larry D. and Nicklas, T. Dale. 1990. Ice-Age
geography and the distribution of native North American languages. Journal
of Biogeography 17, 131-143.

	ROGERS, Richard A. 1985. Glacial Geography and Native North American
Languages. Quarternary Research 23, 130-137.
I had never heard of Rogers et al. before then and as I'm quite new to
Algonquian Archaeology, I would like to know who among us is aware of
Rogers' research and what to think of it. He argues that Eastern Algonquian
would have reached the Northeast Atlantic before the Central group could
have moved into the Canadian Prairies due to the earlier deglaciation in
the Great Lakes, St. Lawrence River and East Coast than in the centre of
the continent. This is quite contrary to what is usually accepted as
classical knowledge, isn't it ?
Thanks in advance for your feedback,
Danielle
Dr. Danielle E. Cyr, Senior Scholar at York University
339, boul. Perron ouest
New Richmond, QC,  G0C 2BO
dcyr at yorku.ca - 418.392.7271