[Algonquiana] M.A./Ph.D. Support, Cree first language acquisition

Julie Brittain brittain at mun.ca
Tue Nov 24 19:57:16 UTC 2015

Dear Colleagues,
For your information:

The Department of Linguistics, Memorial University, seeks applications to join the Chisasibi (Cree) Child Language Acquisition Study (CCLAS) at either the M.A. or Ph.D. level. We offer a limited number of 2-year (M.A.) and 4-year (Ph.D.) fellowships. CCLAS is funded by the Social Sciences Research Council (SSHRC). Full details of the project, including our research output to date, can be found at the project website (www.mun.ca/cclas <http://www.mun.ca/cclas>).

CCLAS is a naturalistic first language (L1) acquisition study of East Cree (Algonquian), which is spoken in northern Quebec, Canada. The goal of this research project is to investigate the development of Cree as a first language, the characteristics of Cree child-directed speech, and to make an ongoing contribution to describing the grammar of (East) Cree.

To date, our research has focused on acquisition in these areas:

Phonetics/Phonology

·      Metrical stress system

·      Vowel devocalization

·      Empty-headed syllables

·      Segment and syllable types

Morphology/Syntax

·      Passives

·      Unaccusatives

·      Verbal inflection

·      Word order

·      Demonstratives

·      Morphological complexity of the verb stem

Other

·      English/Cree code-mixing (phonology)

·      Preferred Argument Structure (morphology; discourse organization)

·      Characteristics of Cree child-directed speech

 We are happy to consider opening up other areas of research based on individuals’ interests and prospective applicants are encouraged to approach us with suggestions. Potential applicants should contact CCLAS Project Director Dr. Julie Brittain, in the first instance, giving brief information about research interests, along with an up-to-date CV. Applications may be made at any time of the year, although we encourage applicants to aim for the main deadline of February 1 (for admission in September of the same year).

 We understand that applicants are unlikely to have a background in both L1 acquisition and the grammar of an Algonquian language and we do not require both as a condition of entry to the CCLAS project. However, we would especially welcome applications from anyone who has familiarity with the structure of an Algonquian language – we offer course work which will cover theoretical approaches L1 acquisition. Conversely, we would welcome applications from anyone who has a strong L1 acquisition background, who has an interest in applying this to Cree.

 Profile of applicant for joining CCLAS

You will

·      have completed a B.A. in Linguistics (or equivalent);

·      have an interest in learning (more) about theories of L1 acquisition and/or the grammar of Cree

·      have an interest in learning to use database organizing software to parse, gloss, check, sort (etc.) data

·      have strong analytical skills

Offer:

·      The successful candidate will have the opportunity to do Masters/Doctoral research in the context of the above-mentioned project, during 2/4 years.

·      Funding is available for candidates to present research results at national and international conferences. Dissemination of research findings, at conferences and in peer-reviewed journals, will be encouraged.

·      The successful candidate will work collaboratively with other members of the CCLAS team.

    Contact Julie Brittain for further details.