[Algonquiana] ata- and âta 'although' in Cree

Guillaume Jacques rgyalrongskad at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 14:54:57 UTC 2015

Dear Arok and Kees,

Thank you so much for your input; in most of Kees' examples, âta appears as
the first element of the verbal complex, before the personal prefixes and
the e=, but in his first example, âta appears between e and the verb stem;
my knowledge of Cree is really minimal, so would something like (1) be a
correct analysis for the first verb?
(1) e=âta=macitwâ-yek
     conjunct=concessive=act_in_an_evil_way(VAI)-2pl(conjunct_order)

If this is the case, the same text attests examples of both e=âta=V and
âta=e=V.

Guillaume