[Algonquiana] ata- and âta 'although' in Cree

Richard RHODES rrhodes at berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 21 00:29:32 UTC 2015

Guillaume,
     I think it's a mistake to think of *āta* as a subordinator. That's
getting trapped by its usual translation. It's just an adverb, like *doch*
in German, which is cognate with *though* in English but differs in that it
is NOT a subordinator, and, by the way, has a similar meaning/function to
*āta*. Once you recognize that--that *āta* is a simple adverb
syntactically--then it all becomes simple. Incorporation as part of a
preverb is not unexpected. That it can appear in non-subordinate clauses
becomes trivial. The questions then become all semantic-pragmatic. What
presuppositions/inferences does *āta* suspend? etc.

Rich Rhodes

Richard A. Rhodes
Associate Dean, Undergraduate Division
College of Letters and Science