[Algonquiana] Map of Algonquian pre-contact ranges; consonant deletion in roots before finals in *p?

Campbell Nilsen campbell.nilsen at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 18:36:14 UTC 2016

Hello all-

I have a couple of questions here. First, does anyone know of or have a
digitized map of pre-contact ranges of the Algonquian peoples? I'm looking
at making a map of cross-family isoglosses, and it would be very much
appreciated by my cartographer if one could be used.

Secondly: there are four Menominee roots- *kɛhk- *(PA **kexk-), ke**∙hk- *(
**ki**∙**hk-), mo*∙hk- (*mo*∙θk-)*, and *oht- *(**ont-/went-*)* -- *which
are noted by Bloomfield (*The M. Language, *21.114) as deleting their final
consonant before certain finals, all of which begin with *p*. Each root
undergoes this deletion before different finals, so that *kɛhk- *simplifies
to *kɛh- *before the set of finals *-pesi/-petɛ*∙/-peN/-peto∙ 'tie, knot;
glide, fly', where one would expect ***kɛhke*∙*pesi-* etc. Some of these
finals are clearly related (e.g. the *-pi* which shortens *ke**∙hk- *derives
from the same PA final **pw *'by mouth' as does the *-pwa**∙ *which
shortens *oht-*), but not all of them.

I cannot find any clear examples of this phenomenon in Menominee's close
relatives, but it is not something most of the shorter sketches cover, and
there are a few resources (e.g. Goddard's Meskwaki dictionary) which I
don't have access to right now. Is this unique to Menominee, or does it
have wider occurrence?

Best,

-Campbell Nilsen