num "water"

potetjp potetjp at wanadoo.fr
Sat Nov 20 13:51:59 UTC 1999

[I use the square brackets to indicate stress.]
1) From the examples below, I have the impression that the monosyllabic root
*num "(drinking) water"  (as opposed to "brine", a crucial problem for
navigators) is proof of protohistoric contacts between Austronesian and
Japanese people.
Tagalog _i[num] > umi[num] / inu[min]_ "to drink"
Ilokano _da[num]_ "water"
Japanese _[no]mu_ "to drink"
2) A contact during early historical times seems to be evidenced by the
Tagalog word _[hi]bi_ "dried shrimps/prawns", that looks very much like
Japanese _e[bi]_ "lobster, prawn, shrimp".
3) The Japanese term _ka[ta]na_ "sword" was introduced as _ka[ta]na_ (with a
final glottal stop)  in Tagalog during the Spanish period, but has
disappeared from today's dictionaries.
Jean-Paul G. POTET. B. P. 46. 92114 CLICHY CEDEX. FRANCE.