WordNet

RMC rcena at epcor-group.com
Thu Feb 3 00:06:49 UTC 2000

Thank you for your reply. I'm looking at George Miller's English WordNet as
a model, hoping to hook up to the English WordNet a Tagalog WordNet (check
out the English WordNet at http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/~wn/). Using
Miller's approach, the EuroWordNet Consortium developed not only
intralingual wordnets for a number of European languages but also provided
interlingual links (http://www.hum.uva.nl/~ewn/). So perhaps -- dreaming
on -- one can *think* about an interlingual Philippine WordNet, who knows.
Right now I am stymied by the problem posed by root words. The English
WordNet ignores the relationship between the noun house and the verb house.
The EuroWordNet attempted to unify nouns and verbs, by introducing new
relations noun-to-verb hyperonym/hyponym, v-to-n hyper/hypo, etc. Add
adjective and you've got more relations than you bargained for. Neither
approach *derives* the noun and the verb from the *root* house. In a Tagalog
Wordnet it may make more sense to treat roots as a part of speech for this
purpose, and to maintain a lexical relation to derived words. Wonder if
someone in the forum has gone there, done that.
rcena at epcor-group.com