Chinese loans in Indonesian

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at midway.uchicago.edu
Thu Feb 17 18:08:47 UTC 2000

At 11:59 PM 2/16/00 EST, you wrote:

>> Does anybody know of any research -- books, lists, etc. on Chinese loan
>> words in Indonesian. Any help would be much appreciated.
>
>Alan,
>
>Russel Jones at the School of Oriental and African Studies (Univ. of
>London) has been doing a great deal of work on Indonesian etymology
>for several decades, also with regard to loans from Chinese. He also
>compiled a 1995 "Chinese Loan-Words in Indonesia (a provisional
>list)" which I myself have not seen yet. I don't know where it was
>published, perhaps in the NUSA series of Uni. Atmajaya (recent
>editions of the series are missing in my collection).

NUSA published one on Sanskrit loanwords in 1997-- did the one on Chinese
ever actually come out?  In any case, there's also:

Kong, Yuan Zhi. 1987. A study of Chinese loanwords (from South Fujian
dialects) in the Malay and Indonesian languages. Bijdragen tot de taal-,
land-, en volkenkunde 143(4):452-67.

The KITLV library database (http://tlvlbs.leidenuniv.nl) also lists:

Leo, Philip. 1975. Chinese loanwords spoken by the inhabitants of the city
of Jakarta. Jakarta: Lembaga Research Kebudayaan Nasional, LIPI.

Cheers,
Ben

Benjamin G. Zimmer
Jl. Jongjolong No. 51