Chinese loans in Indonesian

gongmail at 163.net gongmail at 163.net
Thu Feb 24 15:51:54 UTC 2000

>At 11:59 PM 2/16/00 EST, you wrote:
>>
>>> Does anybody know of any research -- books, lists, etc. on Chinese loan
>>> words in Indonesian. Any help would be much appreciated.
>>
>>Alan,
>>
>>Russel Jones at the School of Oriental and African Studies (Univ. of
>>London) has been doing a great deal of work on Indonesian etymology
>>for several decades, also with regard to loans from Chinese. He also
>>compiled a 1995 "Chinese Loan-Words in Indonesia (a provisional
>>list)" which I myself have not seen yet. I don't know where it was
>>published, perhaps in the NUSA series of Uni. Atmajaya (recent
>>editions of the series are missing in my collection).
>
>NUSA published one on Sanskrit loanwords in 1997-- did the one on Chinese
>ever actually come out?  In any case, there's also:
>
>Kong, Yuan Zhi. 1987. A study of Chinese loanwords (from South Fujian
>dialects) in the Malay and Indonesian languages. Bijdragen tot de taal-,
>land-, en volkenkunde 143(4):452-67.
>
>The KITLV library database (http://tlvlbs.leidenuniv.nl) also lists:
>
>Leo, Philip. 1975. Chinese loanwords spoken by the inhabitants of the city
>of Jakarta. Jakarta: Lembaga Research Kebudayaan Nasional, LIPI.
>

>Cheers,
>Ben

Alan,
In Professor Kong Yuanzhi's 2 books  "A history of the Indonesian Language"(in Chinese: Yidunixiya yu fazhan shi, 1992 ,Beijing Univ. Press) and "Sino-Indonesian cultural exchange"(Zhongguo-Yindunixiya wenhua jiaoliu, 1999 Beijing Univ. Press, there are such lists. I don't know how to contact Kong, you may ask about him from Department of Languages and Cultures of Southeast Asia and Oceania, State University of Leiden.

Gong Qunhu

Chinese Center
Shantou Univ.
China