shark

Danny Long dlong at bcomp.metro-u.ac.jp
Sun Nov 26 22:38:20 UTC 2000

I checked the two meanings of "wani" in Japanese.  The "shark" meaning goes back
much further; the crocodile meaning is more recent.  Yes, wani is a "crocodile"
these days, but it didn't used to be.
I tried to make it brief since this is the Austronesian list.

Danny

--
Daniel Long, Associate Professor     tel  +81-426-77-2184
Japanese Language and Literature Dept.    fax  +81-426-77-2140
mailto:dlong at bcomp.metro-u.ac.jp
http://nihongo.human.metro-u.ac.jp/long/