P.S. to "Tagalog"

Paz B. Naylor pnaylor at umich.edu
Wed Apr 25 08:20:08 UTC 2001

Dear Colleagues:

Please lend me your ears for a few moments more.

I would like to make the observation that in tracing the history of the national language - from Tagalog to Pilipino to Filipino - I came to perceive that as the Filipino people became more secure in their identity as a nation after about 35 years of independence, the determination to reject foreign words that prevailed in the 1930s and 40s began to give way to receptiveness of English words and expressions and retention of fully and partially acculturated Spanish loanwords.  Their sense of national identity no longer had to be deeply rooted in native purity of language.

Thank you.  Paz

Paz Buenaventura Naylor, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor, Asian Languages and Cultures
Faculty Associate, Center for Southeast Asian Studies
Program Associate, Linguistics
The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI  48109
Home Address:  2032 Winsted Blvd., Ann Arbor MI  48109
              Tel/Fax:   (734) 995-2371