Reflexives and di-verbs in Standard Indonesian

Waruno Mahdi mahdi at fhi-berlin.mpg.de
Mon Feb 26 09:04:07 UTC 2001

>(1) 	a. Mobil itu dikemudikannya sendiri
>	b. Mobil itu dikemudikan dia sendiri
>	c. Mobil itu dia kemudikan sendiri
>	'S/he can drive the car her-/him-self'

should be: 'S/he drives/drove the car her-/him-self'

also:   d. Mobil itu dia sendiri mengemudikannya
        (active)

>(2)	a. Anak-anak itu dapat dijaganya dirinya
>	b. Anak-anak itu dapat dia jaga dirinya
>	'S/he can look after the children her-/him-self'

shd.be: a. Anak-anak itu dapat dijaganya sendiri
        b. Anak-anak itu dapat dia jaga sendiri
otherwise,
cf (!2) a. Anak-anak itu dapat menjaga dirinya
        'The children can look after themselves'

>(3)	a. Buku ini diambil saya untuk saya sendiri
>	b. Buku ini saya ambil untuk saya sendiri
>	'I'm taking this book for myself'

shd.be: a. Buku ini diambil oleh saya untuk [diri] saya sendiri
        b. Buku ini saya ambil untuk [diri] saya sendiri
(_oleh_ is actually only optional for the third person, although
 it is probably sometimes dropped in colloquial speech.
 The [diri] is optional for some speakers, but required by others,
 I'm not quite sure what the "baku" situation is. However, in
 both 2a and 2b one may also say  either_... untuk diri sindiri_
 or simply _... untuk saya_; the explicit "self" is not required
 as in English)

>(4	Lukisan itu dicat kami sendiri
>	'We did the painting ourselves'

shd.be:  Lukisan itu dicat oleh kami sendiri

also:  b.Lukisan itu kami cat sendiri

But in any case, the Indonesian sentence(s) is(are) ambiguous. One
could also understand it(them) to mean 'I painted or applied paint
to the drawings myself' (e.g. vandal speaking ;-), because (a) is
not specific between drawing and painting, while (b) _mencat_ indeed
means 'to paint', but more specifically (even if not absolute
exclusively) with regard to application of paint onto a fence,
door, etc., rather than the making of a painting.

For 'did' or 'made' I'd have taken _buat_ (also possible: _bikin_),
e.g.
         Lukisan itu dibuat oleh kami sendiri
         Lukisan itu kami buat sendiri

Just my 2p.