whale

Robert Blust blust at hawaii.edu
Thu Jan 4 01:39:08 UTC 2001

Dear Jean-Paul and Ross,

Actually, the sound correspondences don't work.  Tagalog /d/ normally
corresponds with PPN *l, *mb with *p, and *h with zero.  Given dambuhala?,
then, we would expect a PPN *lapuala.  Even if you were to allow *mb to
correspond to an 'oral grade' reflex in PPN the PPN form would be
*lafuala.  No amount of ad hoc fiddling with the other problems is going
to make this comparison much more attractive.

Bob Blust