what is standard Tagalog?

Carl Rubino carlrubino at home.com
Fri Jul 13 15:06:16 UTC 2001

Dear Mng. Paz,
Thank you for the information about the old and modern use of kila and nila,
and the fact that they originated in Old Manila. I erroneously thought they
were modern innovations.
  I still think there is a colloquial/substandard connotation with "kila."
(A few days ago I heard "nakala" used by a Manilan who said "kila" was not a
Tagalog word (like some Chicagoans who use "I says" and insist they don't) -
so even speakers who use it recognize the "l" forms as being colloqiual or
substandard, e.g.
  ..nakala Jogee...  ((he's) at Jogee et al's place).

  If you do a Google search (mostly modern Tagalog of course) you will find
  kina + mga  returns 43 pages
  kila + mga returns 9 pages (10 at first screen, but last page is empty)

  (I used the word "mga" to weed out the Hawaiian stuff). So even if both
old and modern Manila speakers prefer kila to kina, it appears that some are
more hesitant to do so in their writing.
  I have no ties to Bulacan Tagalog, and do not wish to have a regional
prejudice - I just think that since Tagalog is taught all over the
Philippines in primary grades (in most cases by non-native Tagalogs), what
children see in the books are the "n" forms, not the "l" forms. And children
who do not speak Tagalog at home, but are forced to use it in school don't
always have access to televisions and Liwayway magazines. So if the "l"
forms are to be given standard status, they must be taught by the primary
school Tagalog teachers and included in the grammars and text books too.
(When I say substandard, I do not mean what it is less commonly used, but
what doesn't have official recognition, e.g. English "with Jane and I";
"ain't" -- what we learn on the streets as opposed to what we are taught in
school).
  I have one more question for you, in teaching Tagalog, do you give both
forms? How about when students used "sila" instead of "sina"?
  Thanks again for all your help,
  Carl

P.S. Could you believe that ANG + MGA only returned 44 pages in google, only
one more than KINA + MGA??!!