one more point re KILA

Paz B. Naylor pnaylor at umich.edu
Sat Jul 14 00:49:01 UTC 2001

Carl,

You mentioned towards the end of your email that someone told you that KILA is not Tagalog.  Who said so?  It is not Cebuano nor is it Hiligaynon (I speak both).  Is it Ilocano?  Is it Chinese?  It's certainly not Spanish (I speak that too) - WHAT IS IT?

 It is most certainly Tagalog!  I just checked it - it is listed in Panganiban as "prov. var. of kiná, q.v." (?!)  I find this surprising and hard to believe as an old Manileña.   So much for "pure" and "good" Tagalog being from the provinces - like Bulacan!  Seriously though, we know nothing of the history - I don't mean etymology - of the KILA variant.  In any case,  KILA is recognized as Tagalog and from what Panganiban says and what my sources and I (as well as others) give witness to,  SINA and KILA have been in use in Manila Tagalog.

Examining the 2 forms of the analytic case paradigm I pointed out earlier, note that the first syllable of each case form that encodes the case contrast (and parallels the personal-name case-markers SI, NI, KAY) is identical in A and B.  The difference is in the noncontrastive second syllable:

         nominative                  SILA        SINA
         genitive                       NILA        NINA
         dative/locative            KILA        KINA

I hope this informs the issue at hand.   Paz