4 operations

Cena, Resty rcena at epcor.ca
Wed Jul 25 20:25:11 UTC 2001

There's a chance that the tendency to respond with AY may not have anything
to do with how they learned arithmetic in school, but to the way the
question was asked. The task:

9 + 3 = 12

amounts to asking the question

siyam at tatlo ay ano "Nine plus three is what?"

And notice that the question contains AY.  As a control, the question may
also be formed as follows:

Ilan/Ano ang siyam at tatlo? "What is 9 + 3?"

It would be interesting if the subjects respond with many more ay-less
sentences, thus:

Labingdalawa ang siyam at tatlo.

RestyCena