sinangag

Robert B. Allen, Jr. rbajr at bedford.net
Fri May 11 22:12:06 UTC 2001

Dear Carl,
    The reflex in the West Papuan languages of North Maluku appears to be
monomorphemic.  It is tempting to analyze the form as "si-" causative prefix
plus a root "nanga".  But there is no "nanga" with a meaning that would make any
sense.  Also, the word in West Makianese, the most divergent of the languages in
the family, is also "sinanga" which could not have been inherited from
Proto-West Papuan.  So "sinanga" has always look like a borrowing to me except I
couldn't locate the source.  Perhaps it was borrowed from Tagalog during the
period of Spanish control in North Maluku.
Robert Alllen
University of Pittsburgh