sinangag

potet POTETJP at wanadoo.fr
Fri May 11 21:14:32 UTC 2001

"Somewhat puzzling to me is the derivation of _dumalaga_ 'young female
adult, said of chickens and water buffalos' [...]." Resty CENA

Let us not confuse the nominal infix and the verbal infix. Although the
Tagalog verbal infix _-um-_ is well-known, it is not involved in the example
you give. It is the rare and little known nominal infix _-um-_ we have here,
as well as in

ága "early" > umága "morning"
dágat "sea" > dumágat "a man who knows the sea well" (archaic but still used
in the name of a tribe)
etc.

    Nominal _-um-_ is also present in the base of verbs such as

_sigáw_ "shout" > nominal form: _sumigáw_ [not used alone] > verbal form:
_magsumigáw_ "to holler (focused on actor)"
compare with
_sigáw_ "shout" > verbal form: _sumigáw_ "to shout (focused on actor)"

    Consequently there is no freezing process of a verbal form here. This
nominal _-um-_ is parallel to the nominal _-in-_ of  e.g. _tinápay_ "bread".

    Nominal _-um-_ seems to have an intensive value.

    Normally, this _-um-_ nominal infix operates at the stem level, but I
have the impression it also did at the root level. This is more difficult to
prove of course because one has to demonstrate first the existence of the
root concerned. For instance, among the many roots I have determined, and
among the many that refer to "water", there is *DUG/water.
*dug + -um- > dúmog "submersion"

    A couple of years ago I collected a list of such terms and gave it to
Laurent SAGART and Stanley STAROSTA. If more people are interested, I could
post it somewhere, and let you know where to find it.

Well, I hope I gave the right answer.

Best

Jean-Paul G. POTET. B. P. 46. 92114 CLICHY CEDEX. FRANCE.