Tagalog "kila"

Erik Zobel zobel at th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de
Mon May 14 19:04:19 UTC 2001

On Sun, 13 May 2001, Carl Rubino wrote:

>   I have to add that the form 3s.GEN-proper noun marker "nila" is actually
> used for "nina" in the modern Manila dialect - even though it carries
> another function (3s genitive pronoun). The substandard form "kila" must
> have been invented by analogy - but I have no idea who uses it, as I have
> never heard it. It is reported in some dictionaries as a colloquial form
> (Vicassans) - does anyone here know where it is used?

------------

Believe it or not, "kila" in place of standard "kina" is quite commonly
used in Metro Manila. In fact, it is the only form used in the spoken
language of my relatives and friends there, most of whom are
Taglish-Filipino-English trilinguals. In Metro Manila, "kina" is mainly
used by people originating from areas like Bulacan, Nueve Ecija or Laguna
where "deep" Tagalog is spoken. Non-Tagalogs who have learned the national
language by watching TV rather than in school, tend to use "kila".

Next to my own experience, I would like to add what I have found in a
transcript of an interview with former executive secretary Ronaldo Zamora:

"... si Gov. Singson ay kumausap dito kila Atty. Serapio ..."
"Gov. Singson spoke here to Atty. Serapio and company..."
(http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/abs/inews-Nov2000.nsf/National/20001111040)

You can find more examples on the WWW, just try to look for "kila" with a
search engine like AltaVista (the best thing to do is to make a Boolean
query for "kila" AND any characteristic Tagalog word with high text
frequency, e.g. I have used "sinabi").

As you can see, "kila" is not an obscure form in a peripheral dialect of
the Katagalugan, but characteristic of metropolitan speech among _all_
social classes. Therefore, the inclusion of "kila" in Constantino's
dictionary appears to me fully justified.

---Erik Zobel