pacific stick charts and maps

potet POTETJP at wanadoo.fr
Thu May 31 18:10:03 UTC 2001

I remember seeing such a Polynesian chart about a decade ago. It looked like
a more or less rectangular frame with crossing strings for the sea routes
and small shells representing the islands tied to these strings.

Was it during an exhibition? Was it in a catalog? What is at the Musée de
l'Homme, Paris or Le Musée de la Marine, Paris? I am so sorry I just can't
find any trace of it now.

I thought it was mentioned in Mireille PASTOUREAU (1992)
Voies océanes
Paris: Bibliothèque Nationale

but I have checked it up, and it is not.

I was so struck by this chart that, during a visit to the British Library, I
went to the Map and Charts Department and asked one of the librarians if
they had such items in their collections. He confessed he had never heard of
that.

This is a not a very useful answer, but at least you know such items do
exist in Western collections.

Jean-Paul G. POTET. B. P. 46. 92114 CLICHY CEDEX. FRANCE.