pacific stick charts and maps

Byron W. Bender bender at hawaii.edu
Thu May 31 19:00:00 UTC 2001

The only location I am aware of for navigational stick charts is the
Marshall Islands. I recommend looking in the early anthropological
literature on these islands. See especially Winkler, Captain. 1899. On sea
charts formerly used in the Marshall Islands, with notes on the navigation
of these islands in general. Smithsonian Institution, Annual Report.
Washington, D.C., and Krämer, A., and H. Nevermann. 1938. Ralik-Ratak
(Marshall Inseln). Ergebnisse der Südsee Expedition 1908-10 (G. Thilenius,
ed.). Hamburg, pp. 221-226. Also Spoehr, Alexander. 1949. Majuro: A village
in the Marshall Islands. Fieldiana: Anthropology vol. 39. Chicago: Chicago
Natural History Museum, pp. 20-25.
  Incidentally, an image of one such chart is to be found on the cover of
the Marshallese-English dictionary (Abo, Takaji, Byron W. Bender, Alfred
Capelle, and Tony DeBrum. PALI Language Texts: Micronesia. Honolulu:
University of Hawaii Press, 1976.

Byron W. Bender  (808)956-8374 fax -9166
Editor, Oceanic Linguistics
Department of Linguistics, University of Hawai`i
1890 East-West Rd., Honolulu, HI 96822-2318
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~bender/