Arguments vs. adjuncts as heads of relative clauses

Matthew S Dryer dryer at acsu.buffalo.edu
Sat Oct 20 13:51:27 UTC 2001

Ileana Paul seems to have interpreted my message as objecting to Whitney
Paul's choice of terminology.  I not only did not intend such but went out
of my way to carefully word my message so that there would be no such
implication.  My message was simply intended to clarify a point that might
easily have caused confusion (I know from experience that this distinction
is often a point of confusion) so that readers of the list would
understand her query more clearly.  It was just intended to be helpful.

Matthew Dryer