Arguments vs. adjuncts as heads of relative clauses

Whitney Anne Postman wap2 at cornell.edu
Sun Oct 21 21:20:08 UTC 2001

Dear Waruno,
First let me thank you for yet again going out of your way to answer
my question. I wanted to be certain that in Standard Indonesian,
oblique NPs can indeed serve as heads of RCs. I wonder if the same is
true for Standard Malay and other related languages like Javanese or
Tagalog.
Now if you don't mind, let me ask you a related question. What if, in
your translation of (3), the agentive preposition "oleh" were
removed? In other words, what if the agent "wanita" were incorporated
(to use terminology from Myhill (1992))? The result would be:

? Bayi itu sedang digendong wanita [yang menyanyikan  lagu ninabobo]
  (baby DET DURAT  carryPASS woman  [DET  singCAUS-ACT song lullaby])

How does this sentence sound to you? I suppose I'm mainly interested
in whether or not it is better with "oleh", or whether the
presence/absence of "oleh" makes any difference at all.

Terima kasih banyak!
Wassalam,
Whitney

--
"Each year, 26,000 people are killed or mutilated by landmines of