Kava & kava kava

Ross Clark (FOA DALSL) r.clark at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Sep 12 04:21:05 UTC 2002

The same form occurs in Futuna, Uvea (Wallis) and Niue, all near Tonga; in
the Outliers Tikopia, Emae, Imere-Ifira and Futuna-Aniwa; and in northwest
Marquesan, Tuamotuan and Rarotongan in the east. (This is not necessarily a
complete list.)

I don't know of any language where <kava kava> is a synonym for <kava> in
this sense. Where the reduplicated form exists, it is either an adjective
"bitter" or (sometimes with a following modifier)refers to a different plant
with some similarity to Piper methysticum. I had always assumed that the
reduplication was added for exotic effect by the health-food marketers. But
I have a vague recollection of possibly seeing such a form in 19th century
pidgin. It would take a while to confirm this, as my notes are difficult of
access.

Ross Clark