[An-lang] body = house = boat = family

James Fox jjf400 at coombs.anu.edu.au
Wed Feb 4 12:37:35 UTC 2004

Dear Miriam,

If you want more examples of house = body = boat among
Austronesian-speaking populations, I would suggest you look at the book I
edited, INSIDE AUSTRONESIAN HOUSES.  It appeared in our Comparative
Austronesian Project series in 1993. My article in the volume, "Memories of
Ridge-Poles and Cross-Beams: The Categorical Foundations of a Rotinese
Cultural Design" should provide you with some good examples but almost
every paper in the volume has similar examples, at least for house = body.

Yours, Jim Fox