[An-lang] Malay in broader terms--Filipino/Pilipino

Cena, Resty rcena at epcor.ca
Mon Jun 6 16:03:18 UTC 2005

Since the sound [f] is not a part of the inventory of sounds of Tagalog and majority of Philippine languages, I find it a bit of an anomaly that the language is called Filipino. The letter f is a retention in imported proper names, and even so, most speakers pronounce f as p, except educated speakers who consciously make the effort to make the distinction and only in certain situations. Ferdinand is Perdinand to speakers on the street. One may say, "But what's in a letter symbol?" The phoneme /f/ may be given two sounds, [p] and [f], the latter in the context of proper names and with a group of speakers and only in certain social situations, thus lamely justifying the use of f in Filipino (the language).

<<
One reason not to refer to Philippine citizens as "Pilipinos" with a "P" is that they would not refer to themselves that way.

But only in the context of English communication, written or spoken. Living abroad, I've never heard any Filipino say "Filipino ka ba?"  It's always "Pilipino ka ba?"

Also "Filipino" in the first place is a misspelling. I get emails asking me if I were a "Philippino".

So it would seem that the names of the language and the people, in actual use, apart from official pronouncements, depend on who is speaking, the listener, the language of communication, and the social situation. I wouldn't say this is unique to the Philippine situation.

Ah, some things would be simpler had the monarch of the day in 1521 was named Edward, or Isabella, or ...