[An-lang] Austronesian corpus linguistics

Keira Ballantyne keiraballantyne at gmail.com
Mon May 9 19:18:14 UTC 2005

Dear AN-Langers,

For my recently-completed dissertation project, I compiled a small
corpus (approx. 7 000 words) of Yapese texts. The corpus includes both
written narrative and spoken text, and is available on the web at
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~ballanty/corpusintro.html

My texts are currently presented as pdf files, which preserve the
"viewability" of interlinear glosses but are somewhat lacking in terms
of searchability, as well as being problematic from an archival point
of view.

I am currently looking at various ways of tagging this corpus so that
it will be more accessible to other scholars who would be interested
in using it as a research tool, and I'd like to gauge the interest of
the research community. What sort of searchability in a corpus would
be useful to your research?

I would also be interested to hear from other researchers who have
done similar work –researchers who have or are currently compiling
corpora of Austronesian languages. I'm particularly interested in
hearing from scholars who have constructed tagged and/or
interlinearized databases and who would be interested in sharing their
experience and knowledge.

Regards,

Keira Ballantyne
Department of Linguistics