numbers in Arop et al.

Rene van den Berg r.vandenberg at SIL.ORG.PG
Fri Jul 27 03:33:30 UTC 2007

I asked John Nystrom, an SIL member who works in the Arop-Sissano area to comment on the discussion on numbers. His reply follows below.

"I'm sitting at a large table with speakers from Arop, Serra, Sissano, and
Malol, and have asked them about numbers today. This is what these native
speakers, all men in their 30's, say:

The data cited below are correct for Sissano up to 2. After that, they go to
Pidgin: tripela, foapela, etc.

The date cited below are correct for Serra up to 3. After three, they go to
Pidgin: foapela, faivpela, etc.

'tartar' is not used to mean '5' in Sissano. It means 'many,' as it does
also in Arop and Malol.

If you are very persistent, you can get a native Arop speaker to say 2-1 for
3, and 2-2 for four. In my nineteen years in Arop, I have only heard anybody
say these forms, when they were being asked to do so by a linguist or when
they were trying to show that they really do have more than words for one
and two in their language.

John Nystrom