New Book from SIL PNG

Harald Hammarström harald at BOMBO.SE
Mon Jun 18 19:57:49 UTC 2007

> In most early finger-hand tally systems, there's an obvious
> break between counting the fingers of one hand, and then
> transferring to the other:

> Somewhere, along the language development chain, some bright spark
> put those more cumbersome combinations of words into shorthand:
> wo-'hand - nim, lem' = other hand or 2nd hand, or first-on-the
> other-hand, and thus:

If it's of any interest I might add that it is unusual for
base-5 systems worldwide to derive from expressions explicitly
mentioning "the other"-hand. Almost all of the time in such systems,
1-4 are monomorphemic and without obvious etymology (if anything it's
4=2+2), and those for 5-9 contain a morpheme for hand as well as 1-4,
but almost never is there any "the other"-morpheme in any of the
  expressions involving 'hand'.

A related, interesting fact is the following: ALWAYS when the etymology
for '5' is known, the etymology is 'hand'. I haven't found a
counterexample in some 10 000 references I've skimmed, and if anyone
has one, I will award 10 dollars for it. [There are of course, many
unconvincing examples to be found in the literature, such as e.g.
5 < 'tooth' for various Alor-Pantar lgs (all Papuan) in Stokhof 1975 --
the forms simply do not match well at all.]

> I would also like to thank the late Dr Glendon Lean, whose
> work I discovered only 2 weeks ago at:
>  http://www.uog.ac.pg/glec/thesis/thesis.htm
>  where he analysed Papuan NAN and local An number systems
> in great detail.
>
>  I am very grateful to have found his work, done over a quarter-century,
> in the jungles, swamps, and fly blown libraries of New Guinea,

The PhD is accompanied by up to 17 volumes of raw data (= according to
some late citations). I have 1-12, except 7 (West Sepik), of these which
I got from Ray Hurford to whom Lean sent copies in the 80s. I append
the citation details and contents at the end of the mail. If anyone
wants copies, email me privately. I, and others, have tried to get
a hold of the full set in various ways, with little success, so if
anyone who knows if they are stored somewhere outside Port Moresby
or can help in accessing them, this would be greatly appreciated.

>>From the volumes I have at hand, the first data collected by Lean himself
or filled-in questionnaires by students at UPNG has been vastly overstated
is various descriptions. There are only few of the numeral sets in
the volumes that are primary data -- almost all is from printed sources.
The bibliographic work done by Lean is excellent, but he also missed
a number of accessible sources of data available in his time, probably
because he was working alone without help/input from linguists.

all the best,

Harald

@techreport{numbers:Lean:1,
   author =   "Glendon A. Lean",
   title = {New Ireland Province},
   series =    {Counting Systems of Papua New Guinea},
   volume = 1,
   publisher =    {Papua New Guinea University of Technology, Port
Moresby},
   year =     {1985},
   note = {Draft Edition},
   langnote = {Emira-Mussau, Lavongai, Tigak, Kara, Tiang, Nalik, Notsi,
Tabar, Kuot, Lavatbura-Lamusong, Madak, Barok, Patpatar, Sursurunga,
Lihir, Tangga, Konomala, Kandas, Siar (= all New Ireland languages as of
Wurm-Hattori 1981 except Tenis).}
}
@techreport{numbers:Lean:2,
   author =   "Glendon A. Lean",
   title = {Manus Province},
   series =    {Counting Systems of Papua New Guinea},
   volume = 2,
   publisher =    {Papua New Guinea University of Technology, Port
Moresby},
   year =     {1985},
   note = {Draft Edition},
   langnote = {Nauna, Pak-Tong, Balauan-Lou-Pan, Titan, Mokerang,
Papitalai, Leipon, Loniu, Nali, Ere-Lele-Gele'-Kuruti, Andra-Hus, Ponam,
Levei-Tulu, Likum, Sori-Harengan, Lindrou, Sisi-Bipi, Kaniet, Wuvulu-Aua,
Seimat (= all Manus languages as of Wurm-Hattori 1981 except Penchal,
Lenkau, Mondropolon, Okro, Nane, Bohuai).}
}
@techreport{numbers:Lean:3,
   author =   "Glendon A. Lean",
   title = {North Solomons Province},
   series =    {Counting Systems of Papua New Guinea},
   volume = 3,
   publisher =    {Papua New Guinea University of Technology, Port
Moresby},
   year =     {1985},
   note = {Draft Edition},
   langnote = {Nehan, Nuguria, Halia, Takuu, Nukumanu, Petats, Solos,
Saposa, Hahon, Timputz, Teop, Konua, Keriaka, Rotokas, Papapana, Piva,
Eivo, Torau, Uruava, Banoni, Nasioi, Nagovisi, Siwai.}
}
@techreport{numbers:Lean:4,
   author =   "Glendon A. Lean",
   title = {The New Britain Provinces},
   series =    {Counting Systems of Papua New Guinea},
   volume = 4,
   publisher =    {Papua New Guinea University of Technology, Port
Moresby},
   year =     {1985},
   note = {Draft Edition},
   langnote = {Tolai, Duke of York, Taulil, Baining, Sulka, Kol, Tumuip,
Mengen, Melamela, West Nakanai, Wasi, Mangseng, Kapore, Xarua, Pasismauna,
Gasmata, Moewehafen, Bola, Bulu, Kove-Kaliai, Rauto, Mok-Aria, Pulie,
Anem, Bali-Vitu, Arawe, Bariai, Kilenge, Maleu, Longa (= all New Britains
languages as of Wurm-Hattori 1981 except Mamusi, Uvol, Lamogai)}
}
@techreport{numbers:Lean:5,
   author =   "Glendon A. Lean",
   title = {Northern Province},
   series =    {Counting Systems of Papua New Guinea},
   volume = 5,
   publisher =    {Papua New Guinea University of Technology, Port
Moresby},
   year =     {1985},
   note = {Draft Edition},
   langnote = {Guhu-Samane, Mawae, Zia, Ambasi, Aeka, Mountain Koiari,
Hunjara, Orokaiva, Notu, Baruga, Korafe, Aomie, Managalasi, Barai, Maisin,
Bariji, Yareba, Doriri, Abia, Bauwaki, Arifama-Miniafia, Ubir, Onjob (=
all Northern Province languages as of Wurm-Hattori 1981 except Yega,
Gaina, Dogoro, Sirio).}
}
@techreport{numbers:Lean:6,
   author =   "Glendon A. Lean",
   title = {Milne Bay Province},
   series =    {Counting Systems of Papua New Guinea},
   volume = 6,
   publisher =    {Papua New Guinea University of Technology, Port
Moresby},
   year =     {1986},
   note = {Draft Edition},
   langnote = {Maiwa, Jimajima, Gwedena, Ginuman, Sona, Doga, Anuki,
Mukawa, Gapapaiwa, Boianaki, Dawana, Igora, Wedau, Taupota, Bohutu, Suau,
Wagawaga, Kehelala, Tubetube, Wataluma, Iduna, Bwaidoka, Kalokalo,
Yamalele, Dobu, Bunama, Kurada, Kilivila, Muyuw, Budibud, Misima, Nimowa,
Sud-Est, Yele (= all Milne Bay Province languages as of Wurm-Hattori 1981
except Mapena, Turaka, Garuwahi, Diodio, Kukuya, Fagululu, Bosilewa,
Gumasi, Galeya, Molima, Sewa Bay, Duau, Mwatebu).}
}
@techreport{numbers:Lean:8,
   author =   "Glendon A. Lean",
   title = {Eastern Highlands},
   series =    {Counting Systems of Papua New Guinea},
   volume = 8,
   publisher =    {Papua New Guinea University of Technology, Port
Moresby},
   year =     {1986},
   note = {Draft Edition},
   langnote = {Gahuku-Asaro, Siane, Yabiyufa, Benabena, Yagaria, Abaga,
Kamano, Agarabi, Gadsup, Binumarien, Tairora, Auyana, Usarufa, Yate, Gimi,
Fore, Awa, Baruya, (= all Eastern Highlands languages as of Wurm-Hattori
1981 except Owena, Kenati, Simbari, Yagwoia).}
}
@techreport{numbers:Lean:9,
   author =   "Glendon A. Lean",
   title = {Enga, Western Highlands, Simbu},
   series =    {Counting Systems of Papua New Guinea},
   volume = 9,
   publisher =    {Papua New Guinea University of Technology, Port
Moresby},
   year =     {1986},
   note = {Draft Edition},
   langnote = {Ipili, Enga, Lembena, Wapi, Hagen, Wahgi, Nii, Chimbu:Kuman,
Chimbu:Nagane, Chimbu:Sinasina, Chimbu:Marigl, Chimbu:Salt-Yui, Chuave,
Nomane, Mikaru (Dadibi) (= all Enga, Western Highlands, Simbu languages as
of Wurm-Hattori 1981 except Nete, Katinja, Pinai, Maring, Narak, Ganja).}
}
@techreport{numbers:Lean:10,
   author =   "Glendon A. Lean",
   title = {Southern Highlands},
   series =    {Counting Systems of Papua New Guinea},
   volume = 10,
   publisher =    {Papua New Guinea University of Technology, Port
Moresby},
   year =     {1986},
   note = {Draft Edition},
   langnote = {Duna, Huli, Foe, Kewa, Wiru, 1-2 in Onabasulu, Kaluli,
Namumi, Kasua, Fasu (= all Southern Highlands languages as of Wurm-Hattori
1981 except Hewa, Pogaia, Sonia, Kware, Some, Fiwaga, Sau).}
}
@techreport{numbers:Lean:11,
   author =   "Glendon A. Lean",
   title = {Gulf Province},
   series =    {Counting Systems of Papua New Guinea},
   volume = 11,
   publisher =    {Papua New Guinea University of Technology, Port
Moresby},
   year =     {1986},
   note = {Draft Edition},
   langnote = {Mena, Kairi, Omati, Kerewo, Minanbai, Morigi, North-Eastern
Kiwai, Arigibi, Podopa, Pawaia, Ipiko, Purari, Ankave, Ivori, Lohiki,
Keuru, Orokolo, Uaripi, Raepa-Tati, Toaripi, 1-2 in Ikobi, Simbari, Opao,
Hamtai (= all Gulf languages as of Wurm and Hattori 1981 except Porome).}
}
@techreport{numbers:Lean:12,
   author =   "Glendon A. Lean",
   title = {Western Province},
   series =    {Counting Systems of Papua New Guinea},
   volume = 12,
   publisher =    {Papua New Guinea University of Technology, Port
Moresby},
   year =     {1986},
   note = {Draft Edition},
   langnote = {Faiwol, Bimin, Ninggirum, Yonggom, Awin, Nomad, Boazi,
Zimakani, Suki, Kamula, Ari-Waruna, Gogodala, Bainapi, Tao-Suamato, Waia,
Tonda, Agala, Beami, Upper Morehead, Lower Morehead, Nambu, Dorro,
Mabuiag, Idi, Ag\"ob, Lewada, Tirio, Aturu, Gidra, Bine, Gizra, Miriam,
Southern Kiwai, Wabuda, Bamu Kiwai, 1-2 in Pa (= all Western Province
languages as of Wurm and Hattori 1981 except Kauwol, Tifal, Setaman,
Konai, Tomu, Kaeti, Yey, Kanum, Mutum).}
}