Teens & Twenties

Richard Parker richardparker01 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Nov 27 11:47:28 UTC 2007

"Oh, sure, but do we know for a fact that that was the origin of the 1-4 system? I mean,
are there any concrete features in local tradition or lore that indicate that that, and not
anything else was the source?"

  Well, I did give a very clear reference:
http://www.uog.ac.pg/PUB08-Oct-03/franklin1.htm
  It's a scanned document, so I couldn't copy extracts. I counted on
anyone who was genuinely interested to click it open and check out
'The Four Base System' and its specific usage of fingers.
Thanks for the interesting tale about 14thC Malay 'suku' representing 4.
  In Cebuano and Tagalog, 'suko' means 'surrender', and 'angry' but I
  don't know what this signifies.

  There are current number-related coinages just as relevant
to the evolution of prehistoric counting systems:

namba foa (number four) “one-legged” (also “wansait” [one side])
namba sikstin (number sixteen) “a young woman”
sikispela lek (six legs) “man with two wives”
ten toea (ten coins/shells) “unmarried person”
twenti toea (twenty coins/shells) “married person”
tu kina meri/bus (two kina woman/bush) “a prostitute”
  Some Tok Pisin Idioms - Karl J. Franklin and Steven Kambi Thomas
http://www.sil.org/silewp/2006/silewp2006-004.pdf
The detailed phonological explanation of how Tongan '(honga)-fulu'
differs from Tongan '(nai ri rima-a)-vuru', while interesting, doesn't explain how
two different forms of the same morpheme and two different constructions of
compound words are present in the same context in the same language.
Elsewhere, on your 1,2,3,4,5,6,7
theory, you might find something interesting in:
  Core systems of number
Lisa Feigenson, Stanislas Dehaene and Elizabeth Spelke
http://ruccs.rutgers.edu/~karin/feigenson2004.pdf

regards
  Richard