New 11-ICAL dates

Laurent Sagart laurent.sagart at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 16 20:29:59 UTC 2007

Dear fellow Austronesianists:

In the early summer, following communications from Liao Hsiu-Chuan and
Marian Klamer, we polled the Austronesianist community on the
desirability of changing the dates of 11-ICAL from June 15-18, 2009 to
the following week.

We received eighteen responses. Of these, two expressed a strong
preference in favor of the earlier date, while three were strongly in
favor of the later date. Of those three, two were representing other
colleagues from universities in the same countries (Taiwan and the
Netherlands ). Ten expressed no preference, or only a slight
preference. Of those expressing a slight preference, there were two in
favor of the later dates, and one in favor of the earlier date.

The problem is a difficult one: there are no perfect dates.

One element of the problem is the date of the 2009 LSA Institute,
where Malcolm Ross has been asked to teach. After communicating with
the Institute's director Andrew Garrett, it appears almost certain (or
at any rate very likely) that the 2009 Institute will begin on Monday,
June 29, 2009, allowing Malcolm to attend 11-ICAL before flying to the
US. Dr Garrett wrote that an overlap in dates of our two conferences
"is unlikely enough that you should go ahead and plan for either June
15-19 or June 22-26 for ICAL according to your own convenience,
without worrying about us".

In view of these elements, and after reporting to the Steering
Committee, we believe the later dates are preferred by more
colleagues, and will not result in Malcolm having to miss 11-ICAL.
Accordingly we announce a change in the dates of 11-ICAL. Our
conference will take place on

June  22-25, 2009 (Monday-Thursday, conference proper)

June 26 (Friday, social program)

We look forward to welcoming you in Aussois, in now less than two years' time.

Best wishes to all.

For the French organizing committee,

Laurent Sagart

--
Laurent Sagart
CRLAO

Tel.: +33 (0)1 49542418
Fax: +33 (0)1 49542671

Télécharger mes articles/Download my papers:
   http://halshs.ccsd.cnrs.fr/export_listeperso_xml.php?url_id=0000000000161