query: alveolar/dental asymmetries in phoneme inventories

David Gil gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Wed Apr 8 17:01:59 UTC 2009

Dear all,

In Malay and Indonesian, the apical stops exhibit a curious
place-of-articulation asymmetry: whereas [d] is alveolar, [t] is dental
or (for some speakers, typically women) interdental.  In recent
field-work, I seem to have encountered a similar asymmetry in two other
quite distant Austronesian languages, Mentawai and Roon (though I'm not
yet entirely sure of the facts here.)

My two questions:

(a) how common is this asymmetry (or for that matter the mirror-image
one) in Austronesian, or for that matter any other languages?

(b) specifically for Austronesian languages, I would also appreciate
substantiated reports of languages that do *not* exhibit this asymmetry
(ie. languages where both [d] and [t] are alveolar, or both [d] and [t]
are dental, or both [d] and [t] can be either alveolar or dental, or
there is no contrast between [d] or [t], or whatever.  My interest in
this latter question is that I would like to try and map the
geographical distribution of this asymmetry in the insular Southeast
Asian region.

Thanks,

David

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550119
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/