query: alveolar/dental asymmetries in phoneme inventories

David Mead mead2368 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 8 21:31:37 UTC 2009

Hi David,

I have in my notes:
“A number of Western Malayo-Polynesian languages
and perhaps some others contrast a dental /t/
with an alveolar /d/ and /n/.  The antiquity of
this phonetic difference is unknown, but a
similar distinction is found in a number of the
non-Austronesian languages of mainland Southeast Asia.” (Blust 1990:233)
Muna  (WMP, Celebic)  /t/ is apico-dental and /d/
is apico-alveolar   (Van den Berg 2001:26)
Tolaki (WMP, Celebic)  /t/ is dental and /d/ is alveolar   (Youngman 2001:1)
David M.

Berg, René van den. 1989. A grammar of the Muna
language. Providence, RI: Foris.

Blust, Robert. 1990. Patterns of sound change in
the Austronesian languages. In Linguistic change
and reconstruction methodology (Trends in
Linguistics: Studies and Monographs 45.), edited
by Philip Baldi,  231–267. New York: Mouton de Gruyter.

Youngman, Scott.. 2001. Addenda to Tolaki
phonology. Unpublished typescript, 66 pp.