Korean script for Cia-Cia

David Mead mead2368 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 10 20:40:53 UTC 2009

Yes, from that perspective points 3 and 4 are
minor issues.  But at points 1, 2, and 5 there
really may be an insufficiency of symbols.  6 may
only be an issue for Unicode and/or for those who
program how Hangul characters combine into
syllable blocks, not for Hangul itself.  In fact
as I was turning this over in my mind, it
occurred to me that maybe what they've done or
what you could do for a word like ndoke 'monkey'
is to turn it into an orthographic trisyllable,
using a vowel character which by convention
everyone agrees is always "silent" for Cia-cia,
e.g.  n^ - do - ke   or  ^n - do - ke.

At any rate, I think we could debunk the notion
that Korean is _inherently_better than Latin for
representing Cia-cia.  If anything they are equal
or maybe I'd give a slight edge to Latin-based
(for which only the implosive b and d are
slightly problematic).  If you want to talk about
transfer to the national language, then Latin
definitely wins.  However, my experience in
working with other people on Buton Island (but
not the Cia-cia) is that they'd just as soon
transfer to an international language, because of
the greater promise of economic advancement.  So
if Korea's providing that avenue (and let's hope
they do for a long time), then Hangul is the way
to go.  From the articles, the new script seems
to have become a reason for Cia-cia people to
take pride in their language, and that's a good thing.

Hmm, if they use Hangul, then they don't have to
learn any capitalization rules, right?  That's a bonus right there!

David Mead