connotation of English "bro"

Paz B. Naylor pnaylor at UMICH.EDU
Thu Jan 21 17:49:48 UTC 2010

As the mother of 5 sons between the ages of 57 and 46, I agree with what you
say about the use of 'bro' in English: "It shows a casual intimacy, and not
derogatory at all."

Also, not just in Palawan, but in most parts of the Philippines,
'mistir'[mis.tÍ/ér] is used to mean “sir” (when addressing an older male
stranger).

With kind regards and best wishes,

Paz B. Naylor

PAZ BUENAVENTURA NAYLOR Ph.D.

Emeritus: Associate Professor, Asian Languages and Cultures

          Program Associate, Linguistics

          Faculty Associate, Center for SSEAsian Studies

Formerly: Assistant Professor, Linguistics

          Lecturer, Teaching Fellow, Romance Languages

The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI 48109

Home Address: 2032 Winsted Blvd., Ann Arbor MI 48103

     Tel/Fax: 734-995-2371