lone vowel sounds across the globe

Christopher Sundita csundita at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Tue Jul 13 14:13:38 UTC 2010

Hi Samuel,

Usually, when you deal with phonetics/phonology, the orthography of a language is irrelevant. So, yes, the names of five vowels in English are different than the way other languages pronounce them and this is because of sound changes that happened in English over the centuries.

However, English has a plethora of monophthongs and diphthongs (and triphthongs!) depending on the accent.  And I know that in my accent (mostly west coast US with traces of east coast US & Filipino), at least, there are approximations of how to pronounce them. Even though I say the name of the letter <a> as a diphthong, I do pronounce /a/ in some words like <dot> [dat].   Ditto for French, which has /u/, /e/, and /E/.

With regards to Austronesian languages since, I'd like to point out that Tagalog has been using the English pronunciation of the alphabet since 1987.

Also, if you're curious about how other languages pronounce their Latin-based alphabet, you can check out, for a start: http://www.omniglot.com/writing/languages.htm#latin

Hope this helps,

--Chris Sundita
University of Washington, Seattle