query: Tagalog case marking

Christopher Sundita csundita at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Sat Jan 15 20:16:09 UTC 2011

Hi David,

I'm a native speaker (though I haven't been in the Philippines for quite a while). I've noticed this the past few years in Filipinos here in the US, in the media, and on the internet.

I do not know of any studies at the moment, though I have the impression, though I may be mistaken, that it's because texting  where brevity is important. It was quite jarring when I first encountered it... along with the use of English object pronouns in place of Tagalog absolutive ones!  For example, "ok lang me" instead of "ok lang ako." Although I hear the case marker dropping in speech, I (thankfully) have not yet heard the pronoun substitution.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Christopher Sundita
Senior, Linguistics
University of Washington