query: Tagalog case marking

David Gil gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Sun Jan 16 03:06:34 UTC 2011

Christopher,

Thanks for your interesting comments.

I am a little doubtful that the omission of case markers is due to
texting, as I noticed this happening when I was first exposed to spoken
Tagalog, which was in Manila in the early 1980s, ie. way before texting
was invented.

(Also, I find it interesting that, while the case markers can be
omitted, the rich verbal morphology is always present; I think this
shows that there's more going on here than a mere desire for "brevity".)

Best,

David

> Hi David,
>
> I'm a native speaker (though I haven't been in the Philippines for quite a while). I've noticed this the past few years in Filipinos here in the US, in the media, and on the internet.
>
> I do not know of any studies at the moment, though I have the impression, though I may be mistaken, that it's because texting  where brevity is important. It was quite jarring when I first encountered it... along with the use of English object pronouns in place of Tagalog absolutive ones!  For example, "ok lang me" instead of "ok lang ako." Although I hear the case marker dropping in speech, I (thankfully) have not yet heard the pronoun substitution.
>
> I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have.
>
> Christopher Sundita
> Senior, Linguistics
> University of Washington
>
> On Sat, 15 Jan 2011, David Gil wrote:
>

>> Dear all,
>>
>> I am interested in the phenomenon whereby, in the colloquial Tagalog
>> spoken in Manila, the case markers "ang" and "ng" are sometimes omitted.
>>
>> Can anybody point me to references where this is discussed?
>>
>> Is there anybody knowledgeable who would be willing to answer some
>> questions that I have about this?

David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550119
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/