origin of takuri=kettle, salapi=money, gunting=scissors

Jensen, John T j.jensen at AUCKLAND.AC.NZ
Tue May 8 23:12:04 UTC 2012

The following could as easily represent borrowings into Yapese from the west (Philippines?), but they are fascinatingly similar:

dagur 'empty coconut shell used as a container'
salpiy 'money'

Note that salpiy could be related to:

salp- 'welfare' (obligatorily possessed - e.g. salpeeg 'my welfare'

Don't know if this is of interest, but both words struck me.  As I said, my assumption, at least for salpiy, is that it is a borrowing.  I had always assumed dagur to be a native word, but if it is borrowed, it could be from Palauan (and I don't know a Palauan source) - for the matter of that, salpiy could be from Palau which in its turn could have borrowed from the west.

jj

John Thayer Jensen,
System Administrator, Digital Services,
The University of Auckland Business School

Room 260-4136, 12 Grafton Road

DDI: +64 9 923-7543
mobile: +64 21 85-1904
quickdial: 60001