flora/fauna slip files found in Univ of Haw Ling dept--any memory of where these came from?

Ken Cook kencook at HAWAII.EDU
Mon Apr 22 08:03:49 UTC 2013

Aloha AN-LANG-ers,

Andrea Berez, at the Univ of Hawaii Manoa, has found "21 boxes of slip files containing flora and fauna names...from... across Polynesia and Micronesia" in the department computer room.  No one in the department seems to know where they came from.  Can anyone out there in AN-LAND (perhaps someone who spent time at UHM as a student or visiting professor) help her out? See her message below.

Please respond to Andrea at andrea.berez at hawaii.edu .

Thanks,
Ken Cook

----- Original Message -----
From: Andrea L. Berez
To: ling-l
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2013 9:29 AM
Subject: Thousands of flora/fauna slip files in the department--any memory of where these came from?

Dear Linguists,

During the recent clean-up of our computer room, we came across 21 boxes of slip files containing flora and fauna names (with English and sometimes Latin translations) from a wide range of languages across Polynesia and Micronesia. The cards were made on a typewriter and are in very good condition. There are probably several thousand here--see the attached scan of just three of them.

The problem is, we don't know the provenance of the cards, and before we simply dispose of them, we'd like to find out where they came from and if they should be digitized.

Does anyone out there -- probably someone with more institutional memory than even Bob Blust or Ken Rehg -- have any clues as to how these cards came to reside in our computer room?

Many thanks,
Andrea

--
Andrea L. Berez
Assistant Professor, Department of Linguistics