[An-lang] about loan words

Waruno Mahdi mahdi at fhi-berlin.mpg.de
Tue Jul 7 09:59:03 UTC 2015

Dear Piers,

Sorry to be so slow to respond.
With regard to borrowings into Tagalog from Malay, and also from
Sanskrit and Arabic (presumably also Tamil and Persian), the
situation may be much more complicated than first meets the eye.

Borrowing from Malay continued over a period of one millennium or
more (since around the 8th century), during which time various
Malay dialects acted as donor. The most conspicuous effect is the
postglottalisation of originally final vowels (typically -a).
This is a feature of Banjarese and Brunei Malay and suggests that
at least some of the borrowings exhibiting such postglottalisation
took place during Brunei paramountcy over parts of the Philippines.

With regard to borrowings from Sanskrit (also Tamil, Arabic, Persian),
the greater majority was borrowed via Malay, i.e. these are actually
borrowings from Malay as well. Here again, some will have post-
glottalised final vowels, others not, depending on the final donor
dialect. This too is a simplification, because within Malay too,
there was significant inter-dialectal borrowing.

This is apparent amongst others from a postglottalised final vowel in
a non-postglottalising dialect. Thus, in Standard Malay _datuk_
"chief",
final -k of the spelling denotes glottal stop. The Old Malay form of
the word is _datu_ "ruler". The second component in _barat-daya_
"southwest" and the word _Dayak_ 'hinterland inhabitant of Kalimantan"
are cognate, deriving from the same Proto-Austronesian *daya "interior,
upriver".

Borrowings from Chinese apparently were not mediated by Malay, but I am
not informed about whether they were all borrowed from the same Chinese
dialect. I rather doubt that. Furthermore, during a significant period
there was an Archipelagian dialect of Chinese, spoken in Chinese
trader settlements in presentday Indonesia. Their word for "clove", was
even borrowed into standard Indonesian Malay as _cengkéh_, replacing
the
older original Malay word (_lawang_. which presently means "mace, skin
of the nutmeg kernl"). It seems likely that some Chinese borrowings in
Tagalog too originated from the Archipelagian Chinese.

Will try to look up bibliographic references and let you know later.

Aloha,
Waruno