[An-lang] Biid

David Mead mead2368 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 12:47:33 UTC 2017

Hi Tom,

A few more details wound be helpful. Where does the tree grow? Is the
fruit edible?

There is a tree called sea mango, also pink-eyed pong pong, Cerbera
manghas L. with a mango-like fruit. In our area (Buton Island) it is
called kapoo-poo, reduplication of the stem poo 'mango'. Even the
specific epithet manghas refers to mangos. The Tagalog name is
baraibai. Some other local names in the Philippines are listed here:
http://www.stuartxchange.com/Baraibai.html

David