[An-lang] Archiving dictionary files

Hugh Paterson III sil.linguist at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 22:57:23 UTC 2018

I totally understand and endorse the primary motivation here. The question
is not meant to prevent or discourage submitters on the basis of categorial
natures of language resources. I merely ran into this terms definition
problem when I did my questionnaire several years ago which resulted in the
poster presentation at ICLDC on: if we, as a community of linguists were
archiving our lexical database resources. Part of what I struggled with in
that presentation was defining what was a lexical database (making the
assumption that a dictionary is a derivative product from a lexical
databased) actually was. So, looking at the holdings of archives and asking
if they had any dictionaries in their collections was a challenge because
they couldn't clearly answer the question. So, I'm asking if you have had
(or have) and thoughts which might help clarify things in this regard.

Note that I fully realize that some people choose to use MS word to type
set a dictionary. The internal structure of data set shouldn't limit our
assessment of a lexical database. For instance the dictionary in MS Word,
is still a database of ideas, just not as re-usable as other formats like
JSON or XML which might match up with the semantics of other derivative
products easier.

- all the best,
- Hugh

On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 3:43 PM Nick Thieberger <thien at unimelb.edu.au>
wrote:

> Hugh,
>
> Leaving aside your question for a moment, my request is for any records,
> be they wordlists, dictionaries, topical lists. This is aiming to ensure
> re-usability of the work (even by the creators themselves who may lose
> their primary files) in future.
>
> Nick
>
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 at 09:35, Hugh Paterson III <sil.linguist at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Nick,
>>
>> What is the difference between a dictionary and a wordlist? or put
>> another way, what is a dictionary?
>>
>> all the best,
>> -Hugh
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 7:32 PM Nick Thieberger <thien at unimelb.edu.au>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Dear Colleagues,
>>>
>>> PARADISEC is seeking to archive your digital files representing
>>> dictionaries created over the past generations. The availability of
>>> dictionaries in primary text files is particularly important, as it allows
>>> future re-use of the material without requiring laborious text recognition
>>> or retyping of the work.
>>>
>>> Such files can be held on restricted access, but keeping them in an
>>> archive will ensure that the files are findable in the future.
>>>
>>> Draft versions can also be held as safe copies with later versions added
>>> incrementally.
>>>
>>> PARADISEC currently holds a number of dictionaries, some examples of
>>> which are listed below. Some are image files that permit out of print
>>> dictionaries to be available more widely, and some are textual files.
>>> OE1-AmarasiDictionary (text)
>>> WS1-Namakir (text)