ARABIC-L: PEDA: Textbook Response

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Apr 28 23:12:32 UTC 1999

1) Subject: RE: Textbook for integrated approach

Date: 28 Apr 1999
From: Kirk Belnap <rkb at email.byu.edu>
Subject: RE: Textbook for integrated approach

If your friend prefers to do Levantine alongside MSA, I would suggest
Munther Younes' Elementary Arabic: An Integrated Approach (Yale Univ.
Press).  If he would like to take a look at a sample chapter, he can order
it from AATA.  See: http://humanities.byu.edu/AATA/packetrequestform.html
or contact my assistant at <aata at byu.edu>.

Here is the blurb contained on the website:

_____ Living Arabic [the pre-publication title, I believe], Part One.
Munther A. Younes (Pre-publication version)
Combines the teaching of MSA with the Levantine dialect. Designed to teach
students to read, write, and speak Arabic in order to live in Arab
countries. Functional rather than structural syllabus. Teacher's manual,
accompanying tapes.

I'm sure Munther <may2 at cornell.edu> would be happy to send your friend some
info. on the book.  It's definitely worth taking a look at.  Your friend
may also want to take a look at Munther's article:

"An Integrated Curriculum for Elementary Arabic," pp. 233-55 in:

Al-Batal, Mahmoud (ed.). 1995. The Teaching of Arabic as a Foreign
Language: Directions and Issues. Provo, Utah: American Association of
Teachers of Arabic.

(This is an important book for those involved in teaching Arabic.  If your
friend doesn't have it, it is available from AATA <aata at byu.edu> for $19.99
for AATA members, $25 for other individuals, and $35 for institutions.)

At BYU we also employ a combined approach, simultaneously teaching Cairene
as the spoken variety while using MSA mostly for print matter.  We're very
pleased with the results, as are the students.  We use a packet of
materials to supplement the textbook.  We switched this year from EMSA to
AL-KITAAB and are currently revising our packet to better work with
AL-KITAAB.  At least one other institution is using our packet--as is (or
was).  If your friend would like to take a look at our approach, have him
get in touch with me.  That goes for anyone else who might be interested.

Best,

Kirk

            Kirk Belnap
	    Executive Director
	    American Association of Teachers of Arabic
            4072 JKHB
            Brigham Young University
            Provo, Utah 84601
            telephone: 801/378-6531