ARABIC-L: LING: Root of 'nasta:iinu' responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Jan 7 18:49:03 UTC 1999

1) Subject: @ayn waaw noon
2) Subject: 'ala wazn istaf'ala
3) Subject: root "3-w-n"
4) Subject: transcription
5) Subject: root /<wn/
6) Subject: ('ayn waaw nuun)
7) Subject: not ghayn as initial cosonnant

Date: 07 Jan 1999
From: Andrew Freeman <andyf at umich.edu>
Subject: @ayn waaw noon

Hi,

  The ':' symbol can only be representing an '@ayn' (voiced pharyngeal
approximate).  This is a form ten, the root is @ayn waaw noon.  My
paper-bound 4th edition Hans Wehr lists this root starting at the bottom
of page 771.  The form 10 'ista at aana, yasta at iinu, 'ista at aana(tun) can be
found on page 772.  According to Wehr : to ask for (s.o.'s; bi or hu) help
(against; @alaa).

  Other useful lexical items from this root are forms III and VI:
III = @aawana = he helped
VI = ta at aawanuu = they cooperated

So =
'iiyaaka na:budu wa 'iiyaaka nasta:iinu'
 can only be translated
'you we worship and you we ask for help'

Andrew Freeman
Ph.D. student UofM, Ann Arbor, Michigan